Appeals court denies Jeffrey Thompson's bid for another hearing

By |
Local,DC,Alan Blinder,Vincent Gray

A federal appeals court has denied embattled businessman Jeffrey Thompson's request to reconsider his argument that prosecutors investigating political corruption in the District should not be able to review records seized from his home and offices last year.

The U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit ruled last week that it would not reconsider a March ruling from a three-judge panel that cleared the way for investigators to review the documents.

In a docket entry, the court said that it had denied the petition for a rehearing in the case, which is sealed.

A person familiar with the case confirmed that the court had stymied Thompson's appeal, which asked for all of the circuit's judges to consider his argument.

Federal authorities seized millions of pages in records during a series of March 2012 raids at locations with ties to Thompson, and law enforcement officials said the searches were tied to a long-running investigation of corruption in District politics.

"Included in the items seized by the government are more than 60 boxes of physical documents and electronic copies of about 23 million pages of documents and records on various electronic media," U.S. District Court Judge Royce Lamberth wrote in a May 2012 ruling.

Thompson, who has not been charged with a crime, is believed to have financed a $653,800 shadow campaign that helped elect D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray in 2010.

A longtime Thompson associate pleaded guilty last summer to her role in implementing the scheme, which Gray has said he was unaware of during the campaign.

Lawyers representing Thompson have declined to comment on the investigation.

Bill Miller, a spokesman for U.S. Attorney Ronald Machen Jr., declined to comment Monday about the appeals court's decision.

ablinder@washingtonexaminer.com

View article comments Leave a comment
Author:

Alan Blinder

Staff Reporter, D.C. City Hall
The Washington Examiner