The Smithsonian will receive $811.5 million in federal funding for 2012 in the mega-bus budget bill passed by Congress. The funding is an increase of last year's $759,639,000 budget at a time when agencies such as the National Endowment for the Arts and National Endowment for the Humanities suffered cuts.
The budget includes:
- $75 million for National Museum of African American History and Culture
- $17.4 million for the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center in Maryland
- $17 million for the National Zoo
- $11 million to renovate a wing of the National Museum of American History
- $8 million to revitalize the National Museum of Natural History
- $1.65 million for "Understanding and Sustaining a Biodiverse Planet"
- $500,000 for "Understanding the American Experience"
- $100,000 for research related to "Unlocking the Mysteries of the Universe"