Why is Newt Gingrich still running for president? If you read any reports from the media about Newt Gingrich yesterday, you would come to the conclusion that Newt Gingrich is either losing his grip on reality, or he is a mad genius about to conquer the world.
Gingrich's ego is increasingly alienating himself from the world around him, in spite of his repeated claim that he is a cheerful warrior.
Here is a roundup of his latest quotes on the trail from news outlets that obviously "can't cover it" correctly.
- “We are at the edge of such extraordinary opportunities and it is so hard to get this party to understand it.”
- “The thing I find most disheartening about this campaign is the difficulty of talking about positive ideas on a large scale because the news media can’t cover it and candidly, my opponents can’t comprehend it.”
- “Our political system is so methodically and deliberately stupid.”
- "Other than Ronald Reagan, I know of no Republican in my lifetime who's been able to talk like this. . . that's why I'm still running, because the gap is so huge."
- “I mean, the Washington establishment doesn’t have a clue. They’ve never run a campaign. They’re not out here. They’re not responsive to the American people. They just sit on television and pontificate.”
- “I’m out here because I believe Proverbs is right: Without vision, the people perish.”
- “I’m offering out a whole range of issues, from brain science to paying off the national debt to creating American energy programs so no American president ever again bows to a Saudi king to rethinking Social Security so young people can have a personal Social Security savings account.”
- “One of the great weaknesses of American culture right now is we haven’t had a conversation about the size of the dreams we need.”
- “I’m the candidate of the Wright Brothers, Thomas Edison and Henry Ford,” Gingrich told an appreciative crowd, “of the people who invented the modern world without bureaucracy.”
- "I want to see if we can’t reset this whole race around the idea of really big ideas and really big solutions and insist that the American people have a chance to vote for a dramatically better future.”
- “We’re going to go back to what we did at the first attack, big ideas on brain science, on space, for example paying off the national debt with gas royalties. These are big concepts. And my opponents can ridicule them as they did on space, but I think the country’s not going to ridicule.”
- “If we run a normal campaign, trying to govern within the framework of the current system, we have no future, because people would rather have Democrats do it. They at least enjoy it.”
- “I love life. I love getting up in the morning. I love seeing what the weather is going to be. I love animals. I love the process of interacting with people. I like learning. So I really am basically cheerful everyday because in my mind everyday is cool; I am still here.”