Three fugitives arrested in one week thanks to Examiner readers

Local,Crime,Scott McCabe

What do William Brown, Richard Lilly Sr. and Odonald Parker have in common?

All three fugitives were brought to justice this week thanks to tips from alert readers of The Washington Examiner.

"It's making our job a lot easier when we can pick these guys up with help from the public," said Matt Burke, deputy marshal with the Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force. "It results in more than three arrests and three case closures. We can spend time looking for more. Let's keep 'em coming."

In less than two years, Examiner readers have provided tips that have led directly to the capture of 21 of the fugitives featured each week in the Crime & Punishment page.

Brown, Lilly and Parker earn the dubious distinction of being the first trio to be arrested in the same week.

One thing Lilly doesn't have in common with Parker and Brown: He claims to be a member of the Aryan Brotherhood, a white supremacist prison gang, marshals deputies said. While on the long drive to jail, Lilly showed marshals deputies his gang tattoos and explained their purpose, Burke said.

After Lilly's photo appeared in The Examiner in April, marshals received several tips. With the scraps of information the marshals were able to narrow their search to an area where he was staying and ultimately pinpoint an address in Frederick.

"That's one of those beneficial things about profiling people in The Examiner," Burke said. "Callers may not know exactly where the fugitive is, but they're able to provide bits of information that we're able to firm up."

Police found Lilly hiding between a mattress and a box spring.

Lilly, 47, was wanted on sexual assault charges for allegedly attacking a woman in Charles County.

On Thursday, marshals tracked down Brown, who was featured two weeks ago. The 50-year-old had been evading authorities for five years after multiple drug convictions in D.C.

When marshals showed up at Brown's house in the 3000 block of 9th Street NW, he tried to run out the back door, but police were ready for him there.

"He was done," Burke said. "Once we see you, we're going to get you."

Brown insisted that he was not the man police were seeking and produced a fake ID. Investigators took him in for processing and his fingerprints confirmed that he was William Bennett Brown, Burke said.

While that was going on, marshals were getting numerous calls all about Parker, who was wanted in D.C. for violating his parole on cocaine convictions.

One of the callers was Parker, 57, himself. He was not happy about seeing himself in that day's paper, Burke said. He agreed to surrender Friday.

Marshals had been looking for Parker for two years.

View article comments Leave a comment