Washington Monument closed for two more years

|
Local,DC

The Washington Monument will be closed for up to two more years in order to repair damage from the 2011 earthquake, according to a National Park Service assessment.

Work will begin in September on the repairs and will take between 12 and 18 months, said Carol Johnson, an NPS spokeswoman. The Park Service is holding a press conference at 2 p.m. to release more information.

Tourists outside the monument Monday were generally understanding about the closure, although many didn't know until they arrived that the monument was closed.

"Safety comes first," said Dennis Beaver, who is visiting with his family from Texas. "It isn't often that you have a 5.2 earthquake here."

Some travelers said they didn't even know the monument had been open to the public at all.

lfarmer@washingtonexaminer.com

View article comments Leave a comment