Alleged Family Research Council shooter pleads not guilty

By |
Photo - Police and FBI at the scene of a shooting at the Family Research Council (Graeme Jennings/Examiner)
Police and FBI at the scene of a shooting at the Family Research Council (Graeme Jennings/Examiner)
Local,Crime,Aubrey Whelan

The suspected gunman in last week's shooting at the Family Research Council headquarters in downtown D.C. pleaded not guilty to three charges in federal court Friday afternoon.

Floyd Lee Corkins II, 28, of Herndon, is charged with interstate transportation of a firearm and ammunition, a federal offense, as well as D.C. offenses of assault with intent to kill while armed and possession of a firearm during a crime of violence.

Corkins was also declared competent to stand trial during his hearing. He'll be held without bond until his next court date, authorities said.

Earlier on Friday, the building manager/security guard injured in last week's shooting was released from the hospital, the FRC said.

Leo Johnson was shot in the arm while confronting the alleged suspect in the lobby of the conservative Christian group's headquarters last Wednesday but managed to tackle the suspect to the ground. He has spent the past week in the hospital.

Johnson said in a statement on the FRC website that his condition is improving but he might need another surgery.

"I want to thank everyone for the support and prayers during my recovery," he wrote.

awhelan@washingtonexaminer.com

View article comments Leave a comment
Author:

Aubrey Whelan

Staff Reporter - Crime
The Washington Examiner