In Lange prelim, Shah suffers first defeat

Cheers and Jeers,Sports,Kevin Dunleavy

In February, the flu sidelined undefeated Zain “Tiger” Shah for his scheduled middleweight bout with “Lightning” Harry Joe Yorgey. Saturday night at Patriot Center, Shah was immobilized by the force of the Bridgeport, Pa. veteran.

Landing a counter-punch left cross midway through the first round, Yorgey sent Shah to the canvas. Moments later, Yorgey stunned Shah with a straight left. Then the rout was on as Yorgey stepped up the attack, trapping Shah in the corner. With Shah ready to hit the canvas again, the referee stepped between the fighters and called it at the 2:48 mark of the first round.

While Yorgey improved to 25-1-1, Shah of the District lost for the first time in six fights.

After much success in the amateur ranks, two local super middleweight fighters won their professional debuts in convincing fashion Saturday night at Patriot Center.

Antoine “Action” Douglas swarmed Valdez Eason of Cincinnati, overwhelming him with a flurry of rapid-fire blows in the corner in the first round. Eason (0-7) went to one knee and never rose to his feet. He was counted out at 1:30.

A former student at Anacostia, Douglas made it to the semifinals of the U.S. Olympic Trials earlier this year. Douglas now lives in Burke.

Jerry “The King’s Son” Odom was even more devastating in his fight with Darryl Fields of Akron, bloodying his nose early in the first round and peppering him with quick, repeated, on-target shots. Odom, a native of Bowie, never knocked Fields down, but with fans urging the referee to stop the onslaught, he finally complied at the 1:11 mark. Fields fell to 5-12.

Two inexperienced local boxers lost Saturday night in their second pro bout after winning their debuts. Welterweight Joseph “Raw Talent” Rector of Reston was knocked out at 1:13 of the opening round by David Huffman of Milwaukee. It was just the second win nine bouts for Huffman, while Rector, a winner in his debut 21 days earlier, fell to 1-1.

Mark “The Honorable” Baltimore of the District looked awkward and never appeared to get his bearings in a unanimous decision defeat to Immanuwel Aleem of Richmond (3-0). Aleem was the aggressor throughout, scoring with straight rights and lefts, but never threatening to knock Baltimore down. Two judges scored all four rounds for Aleem. One judge awarded one round to Baltimore, the rest to Aleem.

Three fights, all pitting local boxers, ended without a winner.

In a six-round middleweight fight, T.C. Williams graduate Brandon Quarles took a standing eight count in the opening round and recovered, but not enough to defeat veteran John “No Mercy” Mackey, a District native now fighting out of Birmingham, Ala.

Two judges scored the fight even, resulting in a majority draw. It was the first blemish on the record of the 26-year-old Quarles (9-0-1). The 38-year-old Mackey is now 13-8-4.

In a cruiserweight battle between Andre Ward and Mario “Bazooka” Flores, Ward did the most damage, landing occasional wild swings, while Flores was more consistent, landing sharp, short punches from in close. It all added up to a majority draw. Flores won three of four rounds on the card of one judge, but the other two scored it even, producing a majority draw. Ward now is 1-1-2, while Flores is 1-1-1.

A middleweight bout between Lawrence Jones and Ivan “King Shango” Ziglar ended in a no-contest when Jones was the victim of an accidental head butt. Ziglar remains 7-2-1, while Jones has a 4-6-2 record.

In the night’s opening fight, 39-year-old Damon Antoine of Akron (11-42-1) took a decision from Shakir Ashanti of Greensboro, N.C. (16-14).

View article comments Leave a comment