Carbon monoxide poisoning from generator sends 3 to hospital

Local,Crime,Naomi Jagoda

Three people in North Laurel were hospitalized after they were found with elevated levels of carbon monoxide, officials said.

Shortly after 4:45 a.m. Tuesday, firefighters and paramedics went to a home in the 9700 block of Brevard Street and found three people with high carbon-monoxide levels. A man was taken to a hospital in critical condition, and two women were taken to a hospital in serious condition, according to Howard County fire and rescue officials.

The occupants were using a generator because they lost power during the storm, and the generator was not being ventilated properly, a fire and rescue spokesman said. The generator was found in a closed garage, and a door from the garage to the house was open.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, generators should be run outside, away from doors, windows and vent openings.

View article comments Leave a comment