Maryland opens in Brooklyn, N.Y., and Georgetown on an aircraft carrier Friday night, but there are still plenty of local college basketball teams playing at home this weekend. Here are the top five games:
5. Lincoln (Pa.) at Howard (Saturday, 4 p.m.) » The Bison got to 10 wins for the first time in nine years and look to take another step forward with most of the same cast, minus top scorer Glenn Andrews.
4. Marymount at Navy (Friday, 7 p.m.) » Tilman Dunbar (Paul VI) helps fill a desperate need at the point as Navy tries to halt its nation-high 22-game losing streak. Division III Marymount returns its top three scorers -- Jesse Konadu (Mount Vernon), Antonio Rouse (Ireton) and Reed Scott (Howard). Navy also hosts Siena on Sunday afternoon.
3. Duquesne at Georgetown (Sunday, 6:30 p.m.) » The Hoyas open Friday against Florida but return for their home opener Sunday night, the first chance to see some quality basketball this year at Verizon Center.
2. Youngstown State at George Washington (Saturday, 4 p.m.) ?»
This is an opportunity to see the new-look Colonials, who will have a local feel with freshman point guard Joe McDonald (Landon) and Villanova transfer Isaiah Armwood (Montrose Christian).
1. Virginia at George Mason (Friday, 7 p.m.) » Low-post threat Ryan Pearson is gone, so the Patriots will kick it up a notch with an uptempo offense and a deep rotation that will be without suspended center Erik Copes and guard Vaughn Gray.
- Kevin Dunleavy