Lots of news from Capitals general manager George McPhee’s first meeting with local reporters since the NHL lockout ended on Sunday. One more injury of note: Defenseman Dmitry Orlov.
The 21-year-old has been sidelined since Dec. 6 with an undisclosed upper-body injury sustained while playing for Hershey in the AHL. The team is able to monitor his progress because Orlov was playing in the organization at the time. That differs from the status of star center Nicklas Backstrom, who was injured last month playing in Russia and officially can’t be examined until the new collective bargaining agreement is ratified by the NHL and NHLPA.
McPhee says Orlov has begun to work out again and is feeling better. But Orlov has also been out almost seven weeks at this point and “probably” won’t be ready to start the season,” McPhee said.
“Everything sounds like it’s improving, so hopefully we’ll know more in a few days,” McPhee said.
Orlov played 60 games with Washington as a rookie in 2011-12, but was a healthy scratch for all 14 Stanley Cup playoff games. He is considered the team’s top blueline prospect and was a likely bet to make the club out of training camp if the season had started on time in September.
Follow me on Twitter @bmcnally14