Prince George's 77-year-old man burned to death in space heater mishap

Local,Maryland,Crime,Scott McCabe,Prince Georges County

Authorities have identified a man who was killed in Temple Hills house fire as 77-year-old George Lee White.

According to Prince George's County fire officials, White suffered serious burns over most of his body Friday afternoon when his clothes ignited after coming into contact with "torpedo style" kerosene space heater. A torpedo heater has a cylinder shape and is usually portable with two wheels and a carrying handle. It is a powerful space heater that can easily heat large spaces such as construction sites and other outdoor areas, and often overpowers small areas, fire officials said.

White was working on a car at his home in the 5900 block of Rayburn Drive in Temple Hills. He was taken to the burn unit at Washington Hospital Center where he died Saturday morning.

A 27-year-old family member helped to extinguish the flames and sustained less serious burns himself.

View article comments Leave a comment