64-year-old D.C. man sentenced for violent carjackings of women

Local,DC,Crime,Scott McCabe

A 64-year-old D.C. man was sentenced to 15 years behind bars for the violent carjackings of a pregnant woman and a woman with her young daughter on their way to a concert.

According to prosecutors, James Corbin's crime spree began on the afternoon of Dec. 16, 2007, when an Arlington woman pulled her vehicle to the side of the road in Southeast Washington to ask for directions. The woman was taking her 5-year-old girl to a violin concert and had become lost.

Corbin told the woman that he knew how to get to their destination, jumped into the front passenger seat and said he would provide directions while she drove.

After about five minutes, Corbin directed her to Fort Dupont Park and told her to slow down. He then grabbed for the keys and shoved her against the door, court documents said. As she honked her horn, Corbin exited the car, went around to the driver's side door, and tried to pull the woman out of the vehicle. Two people pulled up behind them and chased Corbin into the nearby woods. Corbin left behind blood smears inside the car, prosecutors said.

About 30 minutes later, Corbin got into the driver's seat of another car parked near a gas station on the 2500 block of Pennsylvania Avenue SE.

He ordered the female passenger, who was three months pregnant, to get out of the car, then punched her in the chest and sped off with the woman still in the car.

Corbin continued to punch the woman in the face and stomach, prosecutors said.

"You should have gotten out," he told her. "Now I'm going to kill you."

The victim then remembered that she had a bottle of ginger ale and poured the drink onto her lap. She cried that she was having a miscarriage.

"I'm pregnant! I'm bleeding! I'm having a miscarriage!" she pleaded, according to prosecutors.

It seemed to work. Corbin slowed down the car, but did not stop. He pushed the pregnant woman out of the vehicle, and drove away.

No arrest was made that day, but blood samples were taken from the first vehicle and submitted to the FBI for analysis.

The DNA evidence was entered into the national database, and last year matched Corbin to the crime scene.

A D.C. jury in December found Corbin guilty of two counts of carjacking, one count of robbery and one count of first-degree theft.

View article comments Leave a comment