The White House on Wednesday endorsed a plan offered by Sen. Harry Reid that would use war savings to offset $85 billion in spending cuts that went into effect this year.
It’s a bit of a reversal for President Obama, who previously said he would not accept any measure to replace the so-called sequester if it did not include higher taxes.
“We support this effort to allow both sides to find a longer term solution,” White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said. “This would be a temporary solution and we would support it.”
However, Republicans dismissed the plan as a budget gimmick, saying it didn’t include any real cuts — such money hasn’t technically been spent yet.
Still, Carney defended the plan.
“Those savings are the result of policy decisions made by President Obama,” he insisted. “That is a fact.”