In celebration of Flag Day, here are some of the best flag photos taken by news photographers in 2013 so far taken amidst tragedy, mourning, protest, and celebration.
1) WATERTOWN, MA - APRIL 20: Watertown Police officer Brandon O'Neill acknowledges the crowd while carrying a large American flag during a candlelight vigil at Victory Park on April 20, 2013 in Watertown, Massachusetts.
(Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)
2) Names of victims hang on a U.S. flag on a makeshift memorial in the Sandy Hook village of Newtown, Conn., as the town mourns victims killed in a school shooting, Monday, Dec. 17, 2012.
(AP Photo/Julio Cortez)
3) NEW YORK, NY - JANUARY 1: A man hoists a flag as he takes part in the Coney Island Polar Bear Club's New Year's Day swim on January 1, 2013 in the Coney Island neighborhood of the Brooklyn borough of New York City.
(Photo by Monika Graff/Getty Images)
4) Strong wind snaps the American flag above a message painted on a boat launch ramp on the shore of Hughes Lake, where helicopter pilots picking up water from the lake can see it, as the fight against what has been called the Powerhouse fire in Lake Hughes, Calif., continues late Sunday afternoon, June 2, 2013.
(AP Photo/Reed Saxon)
5) VATICAN CITY, VATICAN - MARCH 13: A girl waves an American flag as she reacts before newly elected Pope Francis I appeared on the central balcony of St Peter's Basilica on March 13, 2013 in Vatican City, Vatican.
(Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)
6) Tacoma Fire Dept. engines passed under a suspended American flag during a memorial for Tacoma firefighter Al Nejmeh at the Tacoma Dome Exhibition Hall Friday May 31, 2013 in Tacoma, Wash. Nejmeh, a colorful and much beloved member of Tacoma Fire Department died of a heart-attack during a aid call on May 14.
(AP Photo/The News Tribune, Dean J. Koepfler)
7) WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 21: People wave American flags as people gather near the U.S. Capitol building on the National Mall for the Inauguration ceremony on January 21, 2013 in Washington, DC.
(Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
8) ARLINGTON, VA - MAY 23: Members of the Fife and Drum Corps of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment, 'The Old Guard,' participate in a 'Flags-In' ceremony May 23, 2013 at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
9) WEST, TX - APRIL 18: Bill Warren (R) , a member of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 4819, lowers the U.S. flag to half staff in memory of victims of the West Fertilizer Company explosion April 18, 2013 in West, Texas.
(Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)
10) The rising sun shines through flags at the Brigadier General William C. Doyle Veterans Memorial Cemetery, in Wrightstown, N.J., Sunday, May 26, 2013. On Friday, Boy Scouts placed thousands of flags on veterans' graves for Memorial Day.
(AP Photo/Mel Evans)
11) WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 10: Joaquin Diaz (C) of Langley Park, Maryland, holds up a U.S. flag as he gathers with other immigration activists on the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol for an All In for Citizenship rally April 10, 2013 on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC.
(Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
12) ARLINGTON, VA - JUNE 7: The flag draped casket of the late New Jersey Sen. Frank Lautenberg is carried by members of the Joint Military Casket Team during burial services at Arlington National Cemetery on June 7, 2013 in Arlington, Virginia. Lautenberg, who died Monday at age of 89 after suffering complications from viral pneumonia, was the last World War II veteran in the Senate.
(Photo by Pablo Martinez Monsivais-Pool/Getty Images)
13) MOORE, OK - MAY 23: U.S. Marines Capt. Ray Penny of Houston, TX recovers a flag flying from a tree in front of the destroyed home of Tim Jones and Chritine Jones May 23, 2013 in Moore, Oklahoma. The flag would hang outside the Jones’ home on national holidays.
(Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
14) An American Flag hangs above the stadium as Jennifer Hudson performs 'America the Beautiful' with the Sandy Hook Elementary School Chorus during Super Bowl XLVII between the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on February 3, 2013 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)
15) Boston Red Sox's Stephen Drew (7) and Mike Carp (37) stand during the national anthem as a giant flag hangs from the left field wall to commemorate Memorial Day before a baseball game against the Philadelphia Phillies in Boston, Monday, May 27, 2013.
(AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)
16) MOORE, OK - JUNE 02: Artist Scott LoBaido of Staten Island, New York, paints an American Flag on the roof of a home damaged by a tornado June 2, 2013 in Moore, Oklahoma.
(Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
17) INDIO, CA - APRIL 27: Festival goers display the American Flag during 2013 Stagecoach: California's Country Music Festival held at The Empire Polo Club on April 27, 2013 in Indio, California.
(Photo by Matt Cowan/Getty Images for Stagecoach)
19) MOORE, OK - MAY 24: An American flag flies over the rubble of a destroyed neighborhood on May 24, 2013 in Moore, Oklahoma.
(Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)
20) Two workers adjust flags on the Capitol as preparations continue for the second inauguration of President Barack Obama in Washington, DC, on Jan. 17, 2013.
21) People with flags line Route 71 to cheer for President Barack Obama on his way from Sea Girt to Point Pleasant Beach, N.J., Tuesday, May 28, 2013.
(AP Photo/The Record of Bergen County, Kevin R. Wexler)
22) MERRIAM, KS - FEBRUARY 26: Strong winds and snow whip a flag on the porch of a home after a snowstorm hit the midwest February 26, 2013 in Merriam, Kansas. This is the second major snowstorm the midwest has seen this week dropping a half-foot or more of snow across Missouri and Kansas and cutting power to thousands.
(Photo by Julie Denesha/Getty Images)
23) RIVERSIDE, CA - FEBRUARY 13: A man holds an American flag outside the funeral for Riverside police Officer Michael Crain at Grove Community Church February 13, 2013 in Riverside, California. Crain was allegedly killed by the former Los Angeles Police Department officer Chris Dorner on February 7, 2013.
(Photo by Jonathan Alcorn/Getty Images)
MOORE, OK - MAY 25: Cub Scout Owen Thomason carries a handfull of American flags while placing a flag on the graves of veterans buried at Moore Cemetery on May 25, 2013 in Moore, Oklahoma.
(Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)