Share

Policy: Law

Las Vegas Actos case seeking more than $1 billion

|
Las Vegas,Class-action lawsuits,Law,Legal Newsline,Civil Suits
Eglet

Eglet

LAS VEGAS (Legal Newsline) – Plaintiffs attorneys are seeking more than $1 billion in punitive damages in a lawsuit filed against Actos-maker Takeda Pharmaceuticals.

The trial in Delores Cipriano’s and Bertha Triana’s lawsuits against Takeda began last week in Las Vegas in front of District Court Judge Kerry Earley. The two women, whose cases were filed separately but later combined, say the drug, which is used to treat diabetes, caused her bladder cancer.

Triana is represented by Robert Eglet of Eglet Wall Christiansen.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal noted that Eglet plans on seeking more than $1 billion.

The trial is being broadcast by Courtroom View Network, which also broadcast a December trial against Takeda.

On Dec. 17, a Las Vegas returned a defense verdict in the third Actos case to go to trial in the city. Alan Alsabagh had taken Actos and generic versions for his diabetes and was eventually diagnosed with bladder cancer.

D’Lesli Davis of Fulbright & Jaworsky told jurors that the online pharmacies from which Alsabagh purchased his medication often did not handle the drugs appropriately.

Davis also said the drugs were passed from warehouse to warehouse around the world under questionable conditions and were subject to seizure in the United States by customs officials.

“The question on this issue is not whether you think it’s okay or not okay to order drugs from Canada,” Davis said.

“The question is did Mr. Miller (plaintiff’s attorney) meet his burden to prove to you that Takeda manufactured the drugs that Mr. Alsabagh got.”

From Legal Newsline: Reach editor John O’Brien at jobrienwv@gmail.com.

Original Story: Las Vegas Actos case seeking more than $1 billion

View article comments Leave a comment