Share

Barry withdraws opposition to streetcar contract

|
Local,DC,Kytja Weir

D.C. Councilman Marion Barry has withdrawn his opposition to a $50 million contract to finish the H Street/Benning Road street car line.

The Ward 8 councilman said Monday that he withdrew the resolution of disapproval that he filed last week, effecting holding up the design-build contract for 45 days.

He said he has received a commitment from Mayor VincentGray's administration that the city will use as many D.C. residents as it can to build the trolley barn. Barry also said he was promised that the project will have a goal of hiring50 percent of its subcontractors as small and local minority-owneed businesses.

"The most important goal is to keep as much money in the District as we can," Barry said. "My goal has been and continues to be creating jobs and opportunities for District residents and safeguarding their hard-earned, taxpayer dollars."

Barry's reversal means that emergency legislation introduced last week by council members Mary Cheh and Tommy Wells to circumvent Barry won't be needed.

kweir@washingtonexaminer.com

View article comments Leave a comment