Based on the pool report, Vice President Joe Biden put together a Greatest Hits collection at the fundraiser he just attended for Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J. The medium-dollar event ($1,000 and $5,000 for VIPs) took place in Morris Township at the home of attorney Philip Sellinger (of Greenberg Traurig, where Jack Abramoff once worked) and his wife Barbara.
A few gems:
- On Republicans: “I don’t get a sense listening to the rhetoric the other team is using that they literally understand”
- On the Republican candidates for president: “We should sponsor another 20 debates. Think of the things they say. Think of the things they say about women.
- More: "I mean, it’s just absolutely staggering the things they say. Between Gingrich and Romney and Santorum, I think if I told you -- if I just listed the things, the outrageous things -- well, from my perspective, outrageous things -- they’ve said, I think you would have thought I’m making it up."
- “I give you my word as a Biden I’m more optimistic about the United States chances in the world today than when I got elected 40 years ago as a 29-year-old kid.”
- According to the pool report, Biden claimed that he spends four to six hours with President Obama every day. “I literally do get to be the last guy in the room,” he said. (Presumably, he didn't mean this "literally," although it's quite possible to imagine Obama wanting to get out of there first.)
- On the raid that killed Osama bin Laden: “You can go back 500 years. You cannot find a more audacious plan."
The fundraiser drew about 140 donors and is expected to gross roughly $400,000. That's pretty audacious, although it pales in comparison to the raid that killed bin Laden, and even to less audacious undertakings like the Gunpowder Plot.