ELKO, Nev. (AP) — Federal land managers have given final approval to plans for a major mine project in northeastern Nevada.
The Bureau of Land Management announced Friday it has issued a record of decision on the final environmental impact statement for Barrick-Dee Mining Venture's proposed Arturo Mine Project.
Plans call for expansion of the Dee Gold Mine, an open-pit gold mine that currently is closed and undergoing reclamation about 45 miles northwest of Elko.
Plans also call for construction of two new waste-rock disposal facilities, a new heap-leach facility and new support facilities.
BLM officials say the project will disturb about 2,770 acres of public land during the estimated decade of mining activity, followed by three years of site closure and reclamation.
The Elko Daily Free Press reports Barrick Gold Corp. owns 60 percent of the project and Goldcorp owns the other 40 percent.