CLOVIS, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say two students have been injured after a fire inside a high school in Central California.
Fresno Fire Department spokesman Koby Johns told the Fresno Bee (http://bit.ly/12gcVjV ) on Friday that one student was taken to the hospital after sustaining first-degree burns to his throat from the fire inside a chemistry lab at Clovis North High School.
Johns says a teacher was showing a student an experiment involving two chemicals when the blaze sparked and ignited a backpack. The teacher quickly covered the blaze with a fire blanket before extinguishing it.
Johns says a second student sustained minor injuries and was treated at the scene.
About 3,000 students were evacuated from the school as a precaution.
Kelly Avants, a spokeswoman for Clovis Unified School District, told the Associated Press that students eventually were able to return to school.
Information from: The Fresno Bee, http://www.fresnobee.com