President Obama had one of the biggest star-studded fundraising nights of his re-election campaign last night, less than a month after he attended a celebrity fundraiser hosted by George Clooney in May.
Obama attended two LGBT (Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-Transgender) events - one in San Francisco and one in Los Angeles - that featured Hollywood stars Ellen DeGeneres, Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon and Glee actors Jane Lynch and Darrin Criss.
“I just came from a wonderful event over at the Wilshire or the Hilton -- I'm not sure which,” Obama said in his remarks at the Beverly Hills, California home of Glee co-creator Ryan Murphy and his fiancé David Miller, admitting a confusing schedule. “Here's what happens -- because you go through the kitchens of all these places and so you never are quite sure where you are."
Based on an analysis of the president’s calendar and news reports, President Obama and/or First Lady Michelle Obama have held over 25 fundraisers featuring Hollywood actors, producers, or singers.
This list does not include Obama’s campaign surrogates or White House staffers that have hosted or attended fundraisers with celebrities on the President’s behalf, nor does it include the president’s campaign fundraisers featuring pro-athletes.
1. June 13, 2011: Michelle Obama attends fundraiser in Westwood California, featuring actors Ryan Phillippe, and actresses Ellen DeGeneres, Portia de Rossi, Drew Barrymore and Vanessa Williams.
2. June 14, 2011: Michelle Obama attends a fundraising breakfast attended by actress Jennifer Garner. Tickets cost $1,000 to $25,000.
3. June 23, 2011: Whoopie Goldberg hosts "Sister Act" performance fundraiser on Broadway in New York. Seats cost $10,000 including a photo with President Obama.
4. Sept. 25, 2011: Obama attends West Hollywood fundraiser hosted by Dreamworks producer Jeffrey Katzenberg, attended by Jamie Foxx, Eva Longoria, will.i.am, Danny DeVito and Judd Apatow. Tickets cost $35,800 per couple.
5. Sept. 25, 2011: Obama attends fundraiser hosted by Facebook’s Sheryl Sandberg in Atherton, Calif.. Singer Lady Gaga attends the event. Tickets cost $35800 per person.
6. Sept. 25, 2011: Obama attends West Hollywood House of Blues fundraiser with actor Jesse Tyler Ferguson of the TV show “Modern Family,” Tickets cost between $250 and $10,000.
7. October 24, 2011: Obama attends fundraiser dinner at the home of Hitch producer James Lassiter, in Los Angeles co-hosted by actors Will and Jada Pinkett Smith; Tickets sell for $35,800.
8. October 24, 2011: Latino gala fundraiser at the home of Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas, co-hosted by actress Eva Longoria. Tickets cost between $5,000 and $35,800
9. January 5, 2012 Obama attends Chicago "Gen-44" concert featuring actor Hill Harper and R&B star Janelle Monae. Tickets ranging from $44 to $1,000.
10. January 19, 2012: Filmmaker Spike Lee and wife Tonya host a fundraising dinner, guests include singer Mariah Carey
11. January 19, 2012: President Obama attends New York City fundraiser at the Apollo Theater with singer Al Green.
12. Feb. 15, 2012: Obama speaks at Foo Fighters concert fundraiser for more than 1,000 guests, featuring actor Jack Black and actress Rashida Jones. Tickets cost $500.
13. Feb. 15, 2012: Dinner hosted by soap opera mogul Bradley Bell at their Los Angeles home, co-hosted by actor Will Ferrell, (who couldn’t attend) and attended by actors Jim Belushi and George Clooney.
14. March 1, 2012: Fundraiser with Parks and Recreation's Aziz Ansari at ABC Kitchen in New York City
15. March 19, 2012: Michelle Obama attends cocktail reception hosted by actor Robert De Niro and wife Grace Hightowner De Niro in New York City; host committee includes Whoopi Goldberg, Angela Bassett, Star Jones, Tina Knowles.
16. March 16, 2012: President Obama attends a concert event at the home of film producer Tyler Perry featuring singer Cee Lo Green; tickets are between $500 - $10,000.
17. March 16, 2012: President Obama attends Atlanta, Georgia fundraiser attended by Oprah Winfrey at the home of Tyler Perry. Tickets are $35,800 each.
18. May 10th, 2012: President Obama attends lunch fundraiser featuring musician Dave Matthews in Seattle. Tickets cost $1,000 for general admission and $5,000 for an individual photo reception.
19. May 23, 2012: Obama attends fundraiser dinner featuring rockers Crosby, Stills, and Nash in Atherton, CA. Actor Don Cheadle attends. Cost is $35,800 per plate.
20. May 23, 2012: President Obama visits the Fox Theater for a concert featuring singer Ben Harper. Tickets cost $250 per person.
21. May 10, 2012: Obama attends fundraiser at George Clooney's home; nets $15 million. Hollywood stars attending the event include Barbra Streisand, Robert Downey Jr., Jack Black, Billy Crystal, Salma Hayek, Tobey Maguire and J.J. Abrams.
22. May 14, 2012: Obama attends fundraiser in New York City hosted by singer Ricky Martin. Tickets cost $5000 to $35800 to attend.
23. June 4, 2012: Bon Jovi gets a ride on Air Force One to New York City; attends fundraiser with President Obama and former President Clinton. Tickets range from $2,500 to $35,800.
24. June 4, 2012: President Obama and President Clinton attend “Barack on Broadway” fundraiser in New York City attended by actor James Earl Jones and show producers. Tickets cost between $250 and $1,000.
25. June 6, 2012: President Obama attends an LGBT fundraiser gala featuring Glee star Darren Criss. Speakers include actresses Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon, and Ellen DeGeneres. Tickets cost up to $25,000 per couple
26. June 6, 2012: Fundraising dinner with Glee co-creator Ryan Murphy and fiancé David Miller in Beverly Hills. Tickets cost $40000 per couple.
June 14: President Obama and the First Lady will attend a dinner at actress Sarah Jessica Parker's home in New York City.
June 14: President Obama and the First Lady will attend a private concert benefit featuring Mariah Carey.