The annual gadget fest opened its doors to techies in Las Vegas Tuesday. As AP's Haven Daley reports, smart devices are getting smarter, promising to make us healthier and entertaining us in new ways like never before. (Jan. 9)
[Location: Las Vegas]
[Source:AP / AP CLIENTS ONLY]
[Video: Consumer Electronics Show]
1. Wide, lots of electronic stuff on big screen
2. Wide, room full of people under International CES arch
3. Wide, crowded room under COLOR YOUR WORLD banner
4. Mid. People around TV
5. Wide. Man photographing woman
6. Mid. Woman trying on outfits with virtual mirror
7. Mid. Little car on person's back.
8. Close. Little car on person's back.
9. Wide, woman with little car on back
10. Mid. Woman touching screen
11. Close. Woman's face
12. Close. Touching screen
13. Mid. Woman walking to kiosk
14. Close. Doctor on screen talking to woman
15. Close. Person taking phone
16. SOUNDBITE: STEVE CASHMAN / CEO & FOUNDER, HEALTHSPOT
17. Mid. Person walks out of kiosk
18. Close. Person on laptop screen
19. Mid. People waving to selves on screen
20. Close. Person appearing on laptop screen
21. Close. Image of dragon spitting out coins on laptop screen
22. Mid. Person playing computer game with gun
23. Mid. Person playing tablet game
24. Mid. Person playing tablet game, different angle
25. Close, remote of tablet game
26. Close, 3D Screen
27. SOUNDBITE: SCOTT STEINBERG / TECHNOLOGY ANALYST (transcript below)
28. Wide. People dancing in what looks like a two-story house
THE ANNUAL GADGET FEST KNOWN AS CES IS NOW UNDERWAY WITH ALL THE NEW ULTRA HIGH-DEF TVS AND HANDHELD DEVICES ON DISPLAY...AS WELL AS SOME GADGETS YOU PROBABLY DIDN'T EVEN KNOW YOU NEEDED...LIKE THIS ROBOT MASSAGER.
HEALTH CARE IS A BIG THEME IN 2013.
THIS KIOSK ALLOWS PATIENTS TO SEE DOCTORS REMOTELY AT A PHARMACY OR OTHER LOCATIONS.
(remote doctor nats)
[SOT/Steve Cashman/CEO & Founder - HealthSpot] ("What we're trying to do is provide convenient health care at your local pharmacy. You're sick. You go our mobile app. You touch a few buttons, say I have some inner ear pain. Next thing you know you're in the pharmacy, seeing a doc and walking out with a script all conveniently in 10 or 15 minutes."
NEW WAYS TO INTERACT WITH OUR DEVICES IS A TREND THIS YEAR.
CHIP MAKER INTEL DEBUTED AN INTERACTIVE 3D GESTURE CAMERA.
(gesture cam demo nats)
THERE'S ALWAYS PLENTY NEW FOR GAMERS HERE...LIKE THE WORLD'S FIRST TABLET SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR PC GAMING.
BUT SOME SAY THIS YEAR'S CES BUZZ WORD IS EVOLUTIONARY NOT REVOLUTIONARY.
[SOT/Scott Steinberg/Technology Analyst] ("Prices are going down. Power is going up and this fundamentally changes consumption habits and consumer expectations. Singularity user experience, convenience, value, these are going to become the watch words going forward. It's not necessarily about the latest and greatest gadgets.")
HAVEN DALEY, ASSOCIATED PRESS, LAS VEGAS.
ANCHOR VOICE: HAVEN DALEY
VIDEO PRODUCER: HAVEN DALEY