Con Ed pays nearly 90 victims following NYC blast

|
Photo - FILE - In this Sunday, March 16, 2014, file photo, workers stand beside the recently cleared basements of two buildings leveled by an explosion last week in the East Harlem neighborhood of New York. A gas main leak has been found at the site of the explosion that killed eight people and leveled two Manhattan buildings, federal investigators said Tuesday, March 18, 2014, but cautioned that they're still a long way from determining what caused the blast. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)
FILE - In this Sunday, March 16, 2014, file photo, workers stand beside the recently cleared basements of two buildings leveled by an explosion last week in the East Harlem neighborhood of New York. A gas main leak has been found at the site of the explosion that killed eight people and leveled two Manhattan buildings, federal investigators said Tuesday, March 18, 2014, but cautioned that they're still a long way from determining what caused the blast. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)
News,Business,New York City,Natural Gas

NEW YORK (AP) — Con Edison has made compensation payments to nearly 90 survivors and residents displaced by the fatal explosion last week in New York City.

The company says the payments were made Thursday, a day after the blast.

This week, federal investigators found a leak in the gas main near one of the two East Harlem apartment buildings that were leveled.

Eight people were killed and more than 60 people were injured. The cause of the explosion has not been determined.

Con Ed spokesman Robert McGee says the company made 87 payments to people who were injured or lost their homes. He declined to provide the average amount paid for each victim.

He told the Wall Street Journal that the payments were made after "one-on-one" meetings with the victims.

View article comments Leave a comment