NEW LONDON, Conn. — Lawrence + Memorial Hospital is unconditionally ending a lockout of striking workers that began last month.
The hospital's 800 union nurses and technicians went on a four-day strike Nov. 27 and were locked out when they tried to return. The hospital and the union said Tuesday night they will return beginning at 6:45 a.m. Thursday, under terms of their prior contract.
L+M's president and CEO, Bruce Cummings said it's in "the best interest of our patients and of our community. " He said he hopes workers will ultimately accept the hospital's latest offer, rejected after weekend negotiations.
AFT Connecticut spokesman Matt O'Connor called it "a victory" that acknowledges the hospital relies on "its whole, skilled professional workforce." He said the union remains committed negotiating a settlement.
L+M has been staffed by 150 to 250 replacement nurses and technicians.