Egypt candidate says workers won't undermine army

|
Photo - In this Thursday, March 14, 2014 photo, Egypt's Defense Minister, Field Marshal Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, center, attends a gala event at the Cairo Opera House. Earlier in the day, the former chief of staff of the Egyptian armed forces, Gen. Sami Anan, declared that he would not run for president, as the public had anticipated. The announcement leaves a leftist politician as the only serious candidate to run against the nation's military chief, Field Marshal Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, in the vote, expected in April. (AP Photo/Ahmed Omar)
In this Thursday, March 14, 2014 photo, Egypt's Defense Minister, Field Marshal Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, center, attends a gala event at the Cairo Opera House. Earlier in the day, the former chief of staff of the Egyptian armed forces, Gen. Sami Anan, declared that he would not run for president, as the public had anticipated. The announcement leaves a leftist politician as the only serious candidate to run against the nation's military chief, Field Marshal Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, in the vote, expected in April. (AP Photo/Ahmed Omar)
News,World,Egypt

CAIRO (AP) — The only official presidential candidate in Egypt's coming April election says that his campaigners will not undermine the military.

Hamdeen Sabahi's comments came Friday as many expect the country's military chief, Field Marshal Field Marshal Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, will announce his candidacy soon. El-Sissi, who led military ouster of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi in July, is widely popular and expected to win.

Sabahi, a leftist politician who came in third in Egypt's 2012 presidential elections, says he will not pull back from the race despite his objections to the country's new elections law, which places the elections commission above judicial review.

Sabahi also called for the release of political prisoners, some of which are activists who led demonstrators in the country's 2011 revolt.

View article comments Leave a comment