Former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert was sentenced on Tuesday to six years in prison for his role in a wide-ranging bribery case, capping a stunning fall from grace for one of the most powerful men in the country. (May 13)
AP TELEVISION - AP CLIENTS ONLY
++CLIENTS BE AWARE SHOTS 1-3 WERE USED IN MEA OLMERT IN EARLIER BULLETIN++
Tel Aviv, Israe3l - May 13, 2014
1. Mid of Former Israeli PM Ehud Olmert walking into courtroom
2. Mid of judge David rosen sitting down
3. Mid of Olmert walking in courtroom
4. Mid of Olmert speaking with his lawyers and others
5. SOUNDBITE (English) Ben Barr, Tel Aviv resident: (see script)
6. Mid of Olmert walking out of courtroom after senetncing
7. Wide exterior of court building
8. SOUNDBITE (English) Aviram Rahimi, Tel Aviv resident: (see script)
9. Mid of Olmert speaking with lawyers and other in court
10. Mid of Olmert looking at the courtroom
11.SOUNDBITE (Hebrew) Eli Zohar, Olmert's lawyer: (see script)
12. Mid of Olmert walking into courtroom
Jerusalem - 1 May 2012
13. Wide of Holy land housing complex
FORMER ISRAELI PRIME MINISTER EHUD OLMERT WAS SENTENCED ON TUESDAY TO SIX YEARS IN PRISON.
A TELAVIV COURT HANDED DOWN THE PUNISHMENT FOR HIS ROLE IN A WIDE-RANGING BRIBERY CASE.
A STUNNING FALL FROM GRACE FOR ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL MEN IN ISRAEL.
SOUNDBITE (English) Ben Barr, Tel Aviv resident:
"The justice system is finally doing something about a politician. You think that they are above the law, they think that they are exempt from all consequences and now there's some consequences."
OLMERT IS THE COUNTRY'S FIRST FORMER PRIME MINISTER TO BE SENT TO PRISON.
MARKING THE CLIMAX IN A LENGTHY CAMPAIGN AGAINST CORRUPTION.
SOUNDBITE (English) Aviram Rahimi, Tel Aviv resident:
"We have an ex-president sitting in jail, we have ex-ministers sitting in jail, and Olmert did a lot for this country, nobody takes it from him, but what he did was wrong, it was criminal.
ACCORDING TO THE VERDICT OLMERT WAS INVOLVED IN MILLIONS OF DOLLARS ILLEGALLY EXCHANGED TO PROMOTE A SERIES OF REAL ESTATE PROJECTS WHILE HE WAS MAYOR.
BUT OLMERT INSISTS HE IS INNOCENT.
SOUNDBITE (Hebrew) Eli Zohar, Olmert's lawyer:
"The punishment is very severe, also some of the words used by the judge were very harsh, it reflected on all defendants in one breath. This may have gone too far.
OLMERT'S SPOKESMAN SAYS HE PLANS TO APPEAL BOTH THE VERDICT AND THE SENTENCE IN ISRAEL'S SUPREME COURT.
SALIM ESSAID, ASSOCIATED PRESS