Share

Fire at Roanoke complex accidental, 47 displaced

|
Local,Virginia

ROANOKE, Va. (AP) — Roanoke authorities say a fire at an apartment complex and assisted living facility has been ruled accidental.

Roanoke Fire-EMS Chief David Hoback tells media outlets that four people suffered minor injuries and were treated at the scene of Wednesday's fire at Stratford Village. A firefighter and a paramedic also gave oxygen to one cat after it was rescued.

The city fire marshal's office determined that improperly discarded smoking materials caused the fire.

The fire displaced 47 people. A temporary shelter was set up at the Roanoke Civic Center. A community animal response team is helping residents who have pets.

Hoback says the fire started in a third-floor apartment. Some residents who use wheelchairs or walkers were carried out of the building.

View article comments Leave a comment