Comments on:

From Government Hospital for the Insane to revitalizing a community

Back to the article » By |
St. Elizabeths Hospital was opened in 1855 after fierce lobbying for funding from mental health reformer Dorothea Dix. First called the Government Hospital for the Insane, the 350-acre campus perched on a hill in Southeast Washington has seen its fair share of changes. • 1860s: Informally given name of St. Elizabeths (the Colonial name of the land where the hospital is located)...