Heating problem leads to smoke in Alexandria restaurant

|
Local,Virginia,Naomi Jagoda,Alexandria

A well-known Alexandria restaurant had smoke on all three floors of its establishment after its heating system overheated, officials said.

About 9:15 a.m. Sunday, firefighters received a called to Bugsy's Pizza Restaurant and Sports Bar, located at 111 King Street. When they arrived, firefighters found a moderate amount of smoke, but they did not see any flames, Alexandria EMS Operations Chief Brian Hricik said.

The smoke occurred as a result of food residue built up on heating coils, causing the restaurant's heating system to overheat. Firefighters ventilated the structure and made sure that there were no sources of ignition. No one was injured, Hricik said.

Bugsy's is owned by retired Washington Capitals player Bryan "Bugsy" Watson and his wife, Lindy. The restaurant has been at its current location since 1983, according to its website.

An electrician estimated that it will cost the restaurant about $6,000 to replace the heating coils, Hricik said.

njagoda@washingtonexaminer.com

View article comments Leave a comment