Topics: Obamacare

Jay Carney says President Obama didn't know people would be cancelled due to Obamacare

|
Beltway Confidential,Joel Gehrke,Barack Obama,Obamacare,Health Care,Eric Cantor,Jay Carney,Healthcare.gov

President Obama apologized last week over reports that millions of people are being inconvenienced by having insurance plans they wanted to keep cancelled due to Obamacare.

But Jay Carney, Obama's chief spokesman, said today that the president was not apologizing for misleading people about the law.

For the record, here's what Obama said Nov. 7 to NBC News' Chuck Todd during the apology:

"I am sorry that they are finding themselves in this situation based on assurances they got from me. We've got to work hard to make sure that they know we hear them and we are going to do everything we can to deal with folks who find themselves in a tough position as a consequence of this."

The president said what he believed to be true, even though what he said turned out not to be true, according to Carney:

"What the president said . . . reflects what he absolutely believed and wanted the Affordable Care Act to deliver."

But the problem here for Obama and his spokesman is that the chief executive knew three years ago that "eight to nine million people" would lose their existing coverage. And it's on video for all the world to see.

"The 8 to 9 million people that you refer to that might have to change their coverage will be folks who the CBO, the Congressional Budget Office, estimates will find the deal in the exchange better," Obama said to Rep. Eric Cantor, R-VA during a 2010 health care summit at Blair House in Washington, which was televised.

When a reporter asked Carney today about that exchange, he evaded the question, saying it sounded like private conversation between Obama and Cantor.

View article comments Leave a comment