Abortion kills many more than assault weapons
Re: "A weapon guide for the uninformed," Cartoon, Jan. 18-19
On Tuesday, America will remember the 40th anniversary of the Supreme Court's decision inRoe v. Wade.
In response to Michael Ramirez's political cartoon, The Washington Examiner might have also added the 50 million-plus abortions performed in the United States since 1973. This figure comes to an average of approximately 1,300 abortions per year.
|TO ADD YOUR VOICE
We give preference to letters containing fewer than 150 words. Please include name, phone number and city of residence.
Mail: Examiner Editorial Page Editor
1015 15th St. NW
Washington, D.C. 20005
Only 15 percent of all the world's nations have populations larger than 50 million people. This means that the number of all abortions performed between 1973 and the present time is equal to the wiping out of the entire population of the other 85 percent of the world's nations.
A sobering thought indeed!
-- Lawrence K. Marsh
EPA chief leaves cleaner, healthier environment
Contrary to the statements made by the Heritage Foundation's Hans von Spakovsky, EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson has created a cleaner, healthier environment for our children and grandchildren.
Jackson, who recently resigned, was a tireless advocate for clean air and clean energy policies that protect the public from dangerous air and carbon pollution and spur innovation in clean energy technology that will create jobs.
Americans don't trust the big polluters to police themselves and are counting on the EPA to protect their families from the life-threatening carbon pollution that fuels climate change.
As people of faith, we believe in respecting the gift of our Creator, and leaving the world a little better than we found it for future generations. We thank Administrator Jackson for standing up to immense pressure from the big polluters who spent millions to block or delay these lifesaving clean air standards.
-- Katie Preston
Director, Virginia Interfaith Power & Light
Establish an age limit of 21 for firing guns
As President Obama knows, guns in schools keep guns out of schools. His children are the best-protected children in the world because they are protected by armed guards with automatic weapons.
The crazy punk who killed all those children in Connecticut used guns that were legally purchased by his mother, so it's wrong to use the dead children as props for gun control legislation.
There is no doubt that weapons in the hands of criminals and terrorists are most likely illegally acquired, and those who sell them to killers should be severely punished. But the ATF needs to enforce the gun laws that are already on the books.
There are other ways to prevent the killing of children in school and adults on the street without politicizing gun sales.
Making mental health resources available to parents and caregivers can make a difference in keeping their sick children in good hands and away from guns. We do not allow children under 18 to smoke cigarettes, so we should not allow children to shoot guns until they are 21 years of age.
Violent crime in America is down, except in cities like Chicago, Newark, N.J., Cleveland, and Los Angeles because of the drug trade. To reduce violence, the DEA needs to increase its efforts to curb drug trafficking on the streets of America.
-- Louis Ginesi Dominguez