Meningitis suspected in death of Glen Burnie high schooler

By |
Local,Maryland,Naomi Jagoda

A Maryland high-school student has died after she becoming ill with symptoms consistent with bacterial meningitis.

The junior at Glen Burnie High School in Anne Arundel County became sick on Monday, according to a letter sent home to parents Wednesday. The teen died Tuesday and 's illness had yet to be confirmed as meningitis Wednesday, but in order to prevent others from becoming sick, antibiotics are being recommended for people who came into close contact with the girl between Nov. 30 and Dec. 10.

Bacterial meningitis is not highly contagious, buttransmission of the bacteria is possible from direct saliva contact.Symptoms include high fever, nausea and vomiting, severe headache, neck stiffness and a skin rash, according to a fact sheet from the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.Signs of the disease occur two to 10 days after exposure to the bacteria, and symptoms often start suddenly.

njagoda@washingtonexaminer.com

View article comments Leave a comment
Author:

Naomi Jagoda

Staff reporter
The Washington Examiner