Menorah fire displaces 9 University of Maryland students

Local,Maryland,Naomi Jagoda

Nine University of Maryland students were displaced by a fire that appears to have been started by an unattended Hanukkah menorah, Prince George's county fire officials said.

About 6:50 p.m. Monday, firefighters were alerted to a fire at an off-campus apartment in the 4200 block of Knox Road. Firefighters quickly extinguished flames in the kitchen of a second-floor unit.

The residents told firefighters that they stepped out for a moment after the menorah was lit and returned to find the apartment on fire.

No one was injured, but nine students from at least two apartments were displaced, officials said.

View article comments Leave a comment