Most Wanted: North Carolina murder suspect believed to be in the D.C. area

|
Local,Crime,Scott McCabe

U.S. Marshals are looking for a North Carolina murder suspect who might be hiding in the Washington area.

Thirty-four-year-old Nashid Porter is suspected in the July 27 shooting death of a 32-year-old Brian Grant at a home in Wilmington, N.C. Grant's body was found in the doorway of a two-story apartment.

Porter, who has been living in North Carolina for the past two years, is believed to have fled the Wilmington area. He has lived in Montgomery County, Prince George's County and Southeast Washington, and has an extensive criminal history here, which includes arrests for kidnapping, assault and robbery, marshals said.

"Porter's history indicates that he is a violent person with little regard for others, and now he's charged with murder," said Supervisory Inspector Matt Burke of the Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force.

Porter has worked as a carpenter and in the construction field.

He's listed at 5-feet-10 and 160 pounds. He has a tattoo on his left hand and arm, and a distinctive scar on his upper lip. Porter has worn his hair in dread locks and has had a beard in the past. He may now be clean shaven with short hair.

Anyone with information should call the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force at 301-489-1717.

Tips from readers of The Washington Examiner have led directly to the arrests of 45 fugitives, including a murder suspect from the Hampton Roads area.

Last month, an alert reader spotted a convicted kidnapper, who had been on the run for two years, staying at a resort in the mountains of Western Maryland.

The Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force, run by the U.S. Marshals Service, is composed of 30 federal, state and local agencies from Baltimore to Norfolk.

The unit has captured more than 33,000 fugitives since its creation in 2004.

smccabe@washingtonexaminer.com

View article comments Leave a comment