Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan on Thursday reaffirmed his pledge to find the hundreds of schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram last month and said he believed the incident would bring “the end of terrorism in Nigeria.”
Speaking at the World Economic Forum in Abuja, Nigeria, Jonathan thanked those who came despite the threat of danger posed by the terrorist organization Boko Haram. Jonathan also thanked the U.S., Britain, China and France for pledging support in trying to find the missing girls.
“As a nation we are facing attack from terrorism," Jonathan said, as quoted by Reuters. “I believe that the kidnap of these girls will be the beginning of the end of terrorism in Nigeria.”
Earlier this week, Jonathan's spokesman assured the international community that the Nigerian government was doing what it could to find the missing girls.
That included, Jonathan spokesman Doyin Okupe said, devoting two special battalions to searching for the girls as well as overhead searches of more than 250 locations by helicopters and airplanes.