UNITED NATIONS (AP) — North Korea is criticizing the U.N. Security Council for not accepting its latest request for an emergency session on U.S.-South Korean military exercises this month.
North Korea's deputy ambassador Ri Tong Il on Monday also warned that his country would respond to the "gangster-like war exercises" in a more intensified manner. He gave reporters no details.
British Ambassador Mark Lyall Grant last week said there was "no support for a council discussion on that issue."
Ri accused the annual drills involving more than 500,000 forces and nuclear-armed ships and bombers of being aimed at "Pyongyang's occupation." He has said North Korea will respond to any nuclear or missile attack with nuclear weapons or missiles.
The U.S. has described the exercises as "transparent, defense-oriented" and have been carried out for decades.