The National Rifle Association said Tuesday it will fight in court the new restrictions on so-called assault weapons that passed the Maryland General Assembly.
NRA President David Keene told WTOP a lawsuit is "absolutely" inevitable, insisting that new bans on semi-automatic rifles violate the Second Amendment and are unconstitutional.
"Much of it's foolish, some of it's unconstitutional and other portions of it simply put burdens on honest citizens who have every right under the Second Amendment to own and use firearms for legitimate purposes," said Keene, who added that he is a Maryland resident.
The new restrictions, which passed the General Assembly last week, were proposed by Gov. Martin O'Malley and await his approval. In addition to prohibiting residents from buying, selling and transporting certain weapons, the measure also bans high-capacity magazines and creates a new fingerprinting system for owning a handgun.