P.G. couple hospitalized after house fire

By |
Local,DC,Alan Blinder

UPDATE: The man rescued from the burning home died Sunday of his injuries at MedStar Washington Hospital Center. Fire officials have not released the victim's name. His wife was in fair condition and expected to survive. Investigators said their preliminary probe indicated a kerosene-powered space heater might have been involved in causing the fire, though they had not made a final determination. It took about 30 firefighters to extinguish the pre-dawn blaze, which is estimated to have caused $50,000 in damage.

A Maryland couple was admitted to a hospital early Sunday after their Oxon Hill home caught fire in a pre-dawn blaze.

The Prince George's County Fire Department said authorities responded to the fire at a single-family home in the 5100 block of Boulder Drive just before 5:30 a.m.

Firefighters rescued a man, thought to be about 50 years old, from the home. He was listed in critical condition at a local hospital after suffering burns and smoke inhalation.

The man's wife was also taken to a hospital with symptoms of smoke inhalation.

Investigators said their preliminary probe indicated a space heater was involved in causing the fire, though they had not made a final determination. Losses associated with the fire are estimated at $50,000, authorities said.

ablinder@washingtonexaminer.com

View article comments Leave a comment
Author:

Alan Blinder

Staff Reporter, D.C. City Hall
The Washington Examiner