The Prince George's County Council honored a team of Pepco employees for putting out a house fire -- and likely saving a 3-year-old boy in the process.
The crew was installing wires outside the Upper Marlboro home of Malebogo Munamunungu, who was walking her two older children to the end of the driveway. Then they noticed smoke pouring out of the first-floor kitchen.
Line technician Ryan Callahan grabbed a fire extinguisher and put out the flames, but the fire returned three times. Figuring a gas leak to be the culprit, the crew shut off the house's propane.
To Callahan's surprise, Munamunungu ran back into the house. She emerged holding her 3-year-old son.
"It was really quick -- it was just kind of second nature," Callahan said. "Everyone played a part." - Matt Connolly