Phoenix hotel evacuated due to natural gas smell

|
Entertainment,Travel

PHOENIX (AP) — Approximately 140 guest and staff were evacuated from a four-story hotel in northwest Phoenix Monday morning due to a natural gas leak.

Southwest Gas utility crews are digging to try to determine the location of the leak at the Holiday Inn at Cactus Road and Interstate 17.

Firefighters knocked on doors of guest rooms shortly after 5 a.m. to tell guests to evacuate because of a natural gas leak.

City buses have been brought in to shelter the evacuees.

Fire Capt. Jonathan Jacobs says guests can't remove their vehicles because starting them could ignite natural gas.

Dozens of firefighters are on hand but staying some distance back from the hotel because of the danger of explosion.

Local roads are closed, as are the southbound I-17 off-ramp.

View article comments Leave a comment