About 150 emergency responders worked overnight to put out a large mulch fire in Prince George's County, officials said, and the pile of material that caught fire continues to smolder.
Firefighters received a call about 8 p.m. Wednesday about a fire in the 2000 block of Ritchie Marlboro Road on the site of a company that collects commercial debris and turns some of it into mulch. The first firefighters on the scene saw a burning mulch pile about 30 feet high and 100 feet long, Prince George's County Fire/EMS spokesman Mark Brady said.
Firefighters worked through the night to put out the flames. Their efforts were complicated by the fact that winds were blowing at 20 to 30 mph and kept changing direction. Some embers were blown to adjacent property and ignited brush fires, Brady said.
Water tankers and foam trucks were brought in because the nearest hydrant was about two miles away, officials said. The company's equipment was used to break down the pile so firefighters could wet it down and and cover it with dirt.
Most of the visible fire had been extinguished by about 4 a.m. Thursday. Some firefighters remained on the scene Thursday morning to ensure the fire didn't restart. Officials estimate that the mulch may continue to smolder for a couple of days.
There were no injuries and no known property damage.