Two blasts struck the convoy of Afghan presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah as it left a campaign event in the capital Kabul on Friday. The Interior Ministry said the blasts killed four civilians but left the candidate himself unharmed. (June 6)
AP TELEVISION - AP CLIENTS ONLY
Kabul, Afghanistan - June 6, 2014
1. Various aftermath of bomb attack site
Two blasts struck the convoy of Afghan presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah as it left a campaign event at a wedding hall in the capital Kabul on Friday.
The Interior Ministry said the blasts killed four civilians but left the candidate himself unharmed.
A ministry spokesman said a suicide bomber had struck the convoy followed by a roadside bomb, killing four civilians, with the toll likely to rise.
He said no one from Abdullah's entourage was killed.
But Kabul police chief Mohammed Zahir said both explosions were carried out by suicide bombers - the first was a driver who blew up a vehicle and the second was a suicide bomber on foot.
He said two people were killed and 16 wounded.
In a televised statement shortly after the attack, Abdullah, the presidential frontrunner and former foreign minister, said he had not been harmed but that his security guards had been wounded.
An AP reporter who arrived at the scene shortly after the blasts said they destroyed several cars and nearby shop-fronts, leaving the street littered with twisted metal and other rubble.
It was not immediately clear who was behind the attack, but it bore the hallmarks of the Taliban, who are fighting to overthrow the Western-backed government.