At least nine people have died after a building under renovation collapsed in southeast Johannesburg, South Africa on Monday. (Aug. 18)
AP TELEVISION - AP CLIENTS ONLY
Johannesburg, South Africa - August 18, 2014
1. Wide of police on site where building collapsed
2. Close of building structure
3. Emergency workers at scene
4. Various of emergency workers at scene
5. Emergency workers and vehicles on scene
6. Close of structure destroyed
7. Wide of site
South African officials have confirmed that at least nine people have died after a building under renovation in an area southeast of Johannesburg collapsed on Monday.
Builders were among the casualties, according to South African media. Several men were also injured.
According to the Ekurhuleni Emergency Services spokesman, it is not known what caused the building to collapse, but he confirmed there was a construction taking place.
Rescue dogs were brought in to help locate bodies in the rubble, the South African Press Association said.
The government sent inspectors to the site to launch an investigation.