Security is on high alert around the Maracana stadium, following an incident at the last match between Chile and Spain when around 100 Chilean fans invaded the press center in an attempt to force their way into the stands. (June 22)
AP TELEVISION - AP CLIENTS ONLY
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - June 22, 2014
1. Various of vehicles slowly passing road block
2. Vehicle with flashing lights driving on road next to Maracana Stadium
3. Various of police officers walking down ramp leading to Maracana Stadium
4. Military police trucks and police vehicle
5. Various of traffic wardens setting up cones
6. Wide of road block
7. Anti-riot police standing in front of stadium
8. Entrance to Maracana stadium
9. Various of military police with assault rifles outside stadium
10. Various of Maracana stadium
11. Pan of skyline and Maracana Stadium
Police stepped up security around the Maracana stadium on Sunday as Rio de Janeiro prepared to host the 31st match of the World Cup between Belgium and Russia.
Organizers and police are on high alert following an incident at the last match held at the Maracana between Chile and Spain when around 100 Chilean fans invaded the press center in an attempt to force their way into the stands.
Police detained 85 fans following the incident.
On Sunday, military police surrounded the area near the stadium and blocked off streets.
The reinforcements bring the number of security personnel at the Maracana for Sunday's match to over 3,000.