Heavy rains trigger deadly flash floods in the Solomon Islands. At least 16 people are dead and thousands left homeless. (April 4)
AP TELEVISION - AP CLIENTS ONLY
Honiara, Solomon Islands - 4 April 2014
1. Various, houses collapsing into river
2. Wide, men wading through flooded rivers
3. Various, shots from hillside of flooded river
4. Low angle floodwaters next to road
5. Low angle cars on flooded road
Officials in the Solomon Islands said on Friday that at least 16 people have died and thousands have been left homeless in flash flooding in the capital, Honiara.
Consecutive days of rain caused by a tropical storm have flooded large parts of the city, sending houses collapsing into rivers and blocking roads.
According to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, one of the two bridges that cross the Mataniko River to link Honiara to the airport has been washed away.
The other is in danger of collapse, it also reported.