Dramatic footage obtained by The Associated Press shows rival Libyan militias battling for control for the capital's international airport on Saturday. (July 27)
AP TELEVISION - AP CLIENTS ONLY
++VIDEO OBTAINED BY AP FROM FREELANCER TRAVELLING WITH MISRATA BRIGADE FIGHTERS++\
Tripoli, Libya - July 26, 2014
1. Plane burning on tarmac of Tripoli International Airport
2. Various of the Islamic 'Misrata Brigade' militias firing towards airport, rockets launched past fighters
3. Wide of planes at airport
4. Heavy smoke rising from airplane on tarmac, obscured by tree
5. Militia firing at airport
6. Tank firing towards airport
7. Various of militias behind wall, firing towards airport
Dramatic footage obtained by The Associated Press on Sunday showed rival Libyan militia continue a violent battle for control of the capital's international airport on Saturday.
A large airplane was destroyed in the violence, the remains of which sat on the tarmac belching black smoke into the air. The footage was provided to the AP by a freelancer travelling with militia from the city of Misrata, east of Tripoli.
The Islamic militias have been battling a powerful militia from the western city of Zintan, which controls the airport, since earlier this month.
The rival militias have forced a week long closure of petrol stations and government offices.
In recent days, armed men have attacked vehicles carrying money from the Central Bank to local banks, forcing their closure as well.
On Saturday, the United States suspended diplomatic activities at its embassy in Libya and moved its diplomats to neighbouring Tunisia as the fighting intensified. Turkey has also suspended operations and evacuated its diplomatic mission in Libya.