1. Fullback Darrel Young said he strained his left hamstring running a pass route, sidelining him again this morning and likely for the next few days. Young said, “I feel good, just a little tight.”
He has not yet had an MRI and isn’t sure if he’ll need one.
2. Guard Maurice Hurt, filling in for Kory Lichtensteiger, said he’s a different player this season after starting — games as a rookie in 2011. Hurt worked mostly at tackle until Lichtensteiger was sidelined. Lichtensteiger likely will miss the preseason after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery Monday.
But Hurt says don’t panic.
“Injuries are gonna occur and I don’t feel the fans should be worried,” he said. “We have enough capable guys to get it done.”
As for his own game, Hurt said he’s better at seeing, well, everything.
“Not one [thing] in particular, just being able to see things happen,” he said. “Last year things would happen and I react to them and now I can see certain things before they start to happen. I can adapt to them better. That just comes from experience.”
3. The Redskins’ secondary, barring injuries, won’t have any starters who were drafted by the team.
“We have a secondary full of misfits,” Redskins corner DeAngelo Hall said. “We have guys that nobody else wanted in this league. … We laugh at some of that stuff because we all know that at the end of the day you have to go out on the field and prove it. This group of guys might look bad on paper and some guys might rank us badly on paper, but at the end of the day you have to go out there and play.”
4. Hall also provided a scouting report on the three new safeties, Brandon Meriweather, Madieu Williams and Tanard Jackson: “Brandon is probably the most complete of all of them. He’s a guy that’ll fill a hole. He’s a ballhawk. We have competitions out here in practice for who can get the most balls. Right now he’s probably leading it. He’s always around the ball.
“T. Jack, he’s a physical guy. I’m looking at him like, ‘Man, you’re smaller than me,’ but somehow he sticks his in there. He’s always out there making plays. Madieu, I actually talked the most about Madieu a lot over the past couple of weeks, just picking ‘Los’ [former teammate San Francisco 49ers cornerback Carlos Rogers’] brain about, just kind of seeing how he was out there versus how he’s going to be in our system. ‘Los loved him to death, and I feel the same way about the guy.”
5. Jordan Black is happy to return to the NFL.