Thousands of troops used pickaxes and bulldozers to clear roads and dig residents from collapsed homes on Tuesday, after an earthquake on Sunday in southwest China that killed more than 400 people. (Aug. 5)
AP TELEVISION - AP CLIENTS ONLY
Ludian County, China
August 5, 2014
1. Dog and rescue worker going through rubble
2. Various of rescue workers, debris
3. Wide pan of scene
4. SOUNDBITE (English) Name, Occupation (Transcript Below)
5. Woman carrying belongings found in her collapsed house
6. SOUNDBITE: (Mandarin), Lieutenant Colonel Yang Tianjun, Site Commander for Rescue Operations: (transcript below)
+++BITE IS PARTIALLY COVERED BY NEXT SHOT+++
7. Various of rescue workers bringing out covered bodies
8. Wide of demolished building, Chinese flag
USING SNIFFER DOGS, PICK AXES, BACKHOES AND BARE HANDS...
THOUSANDS OF TROOPS AND VOLUNTEERS ARE DIGGING THROUGH RUBBLE IN SOUTHWEST CHINA, HOPING TO FIND MORE SURVIVORS FROM SUNDAY'S DEADLY EARTHQUAKE.
THE SIX-POINT-1 QUAKE COLLAPSED THOUSANDS OF HOMES IN AN IMPOVERISHED REGION OF MOUNTAINOUS FARMLAND... KILLING MORE THAN 400 PEOPLE, AND LEAVING MANY MORE HURT, TRAPPED OR HOMELESS.
HEAVY RAIN ON TUESDAY TRIGGERED LANDSLIDES, FURTHER COMPLICATING THE RESCUE EFFORT.
SOUNDBITE: (Mandarin), Lieutenant Colonel Yang Tianjun, Site Commander for Rescue Operations: "The priority for us now is search and rescue, and we hope to find some survivors. This place (Longquan Community) is the most devastated place in the town and many victims are buried in the debris, so this is the main area for us to search and rescue. We just found another two bodies of earthquake victims, there are two more victims down there and we will try to drag them out."
MANY OF THE HOMES IN HARD-HIT EARTHQUAKE PRONE LUDIAN COUNTY WERE RUDIMENTARY MUD-BRICK STRUCTURES THAT COLLAPSED EASILY AS THE EARTH GAVE WAY.
HANNAH BUCHDAHL, ASSOCIATED PRESS