A United Way fund to help the victims of the horrific May tornadoes in central Oklahoma just got a huge boost from superstar sports figures Robert Griffin III of the Washington Redskins and Oklahoma City Thunder power forward Kevin Durant.
The duo have offered up items for sale in Wednesday's silent auction organized in Washington by friends of Rep. Tom Cole, the Oklahoma lawmaker who represents the congressional district and many of the 41 counties devastated by tornadoes on May 19 and 31.
Durant has offering up a signed pair of newly-designed Nike sneakers and Redskins quarterback RG3 has signed a team jersey.
The entire state delegation, Oklahoma natives in Washington and city business leaders with ties to the state are involved in the auction to raise money for the United Way of Central Oklahoma May Tornado Relief Fund. For example former Oklahoma Rep. Dave McCurdy, now president of the American Gas Association, is hosting the event at AGA's headquarters, and Craig Purser, president of the National Beer Wholesalers Association, who calls himself a "proud Okie," is offering up items for sale.
"When you watch your home community get reduced to splinters, and so many families are faced with rebuilding their lives, the least we can do is lend a helping hand," Purser told Secrets. "We have all been inspired by the incredible spirit that Okies far and wide share, and we know Oklahoma will come back even better and stronger."
Auction favorites include:
* Kevin Durant Nike shoes (signed pair - design hasn't even been unveiled yet).
* Diageo House whiskey tasting.
* Beer centric gift basket.
* Signed Stoops football & signed Switzer football.
* Robert Griffin III signed jersey.
* White panel football signed by #91 Ryan Kerrigan of the Redskins.
* Nicklas Backstrom autographed stick from the Washington Capitals.
* PNC Diamond Club seats for the Nationals-Mets game on Sunday, July 27th.
* Beertender & mini-keg.
Paul Bedard, The Washington Examiner's "Washington Secrets" columnist, can be contacted at email@example.com.