Not in my state
"I don't believe that legalizing an illegal drug for purposes of governmental profit is something that we should be doing. I believe that this is a gateway drug into other more serious drugs. I think it sends a wrong message to our kids and I don't think it makes anybody a better or more productive person."
- Gov. Chris Christie, R-N.J.
Public relations advice
“He ought to explain to the pope why he is telling businesses in America they can’t remain true to their faith and stay in business.”
- Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., advises President Obama on his meeting with Pope Francis
“I actually will probably read this in the Oval Office when I’m deeply frustrated. I’m sure it will give me strength and calm me down.”
- President Obama, after receiving an encyclical from Pope Francis
"The weakness and incoherent foreign policy of the Obama administration — from President Obama, under Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and under Secretary [John] Kerry — has undermined our allies and has strengthened our enemies and put Putin in particular in a far stronger position."
- Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas
Why I'm here
"I'm here about jobs, not mine."
- Vice President Joe Biden in New Hampshire
“Imagine if Blockbuster had been allowed to use regulations to keep down Netflix.”
- Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., on harmful government regulations
Pay your rent
"I know that Mr. Putin is hospitable, but he usually wants somebody to pay the rent."
- Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., after speculating that Edward Snowden was working with the Russians