Several college football scores posted Saturday looked more like basketball results as 12 losing teams in the FBS scored at least 34 points. Consider the following:
5. Miami (Ohio) 56, Akron 49 ?» Holy Toledo! This was one of four MAC games that produced more than 70 points. The others were Kent State 45, Ball State 43; Northern Illinois 55, Central Michigan 24; and Ohio 37, Massachusetts 34.
4. Miami 44, N.C. State 37 » Miami's Stephen Morris set an ACC record with 566 passing yards, 62 coming on the winning touchdown pass with 19 seconds left. The teams combined for 1,315 yards, including 1,006 passing.
3. Georgia 51, Tennessee 44 ?» In the highest-scoring game in series history, the Bulldogs did it on the ground behind its "Gershall" backfield tandem of Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall who combined for 294 yards and five touchdowns.
2. Fresno State 52, San Diego State 40 » West Virginia wasn't the only team that made a splashy conference debut. In its first game in the Mountain West, Fresno State got 536 yards and five touchdown passes from Derek Carr.
1. West Virginia 70, Baylor 63 » A new Big 12 scoring record was set as Geno Smith needed only 51 passes to throw for 656 yards and eight touchdowns, while Nick Florence bettered Robert Griffin III's Baylor record for passing yards with 581. With 314 yards, Baylor's Terrance Williams broke the Big 12 receiving mark, set earlier in the game by West Virginia's Stedman Bailey (303 yards).
- Kevin Dunleavy